Tuesday, February 24, 2009

(excerpt from) Stomp Out Loud



The cast of Stomp!, 1997.

Stephanie and I saw Stomp! in London when we were there in 2004. The musician in me thought it was outstanding. I usually have a very abstract mind and the ability to let storytelling be, but when it comes to musicals I've always been that guy who says "Sure, they all just get up in synchronized choreography and song." The great thing about this show is how there is a very small element of storytelling, but it's entirely without words.

This creates an almost a sub-genre of musical theater; something more along the lines of performance art but still uses many of the conventions of the musical.

Sorry, Stephanie is sick tonight.

1 comment:

Katie Aaberg said...

We saw Stomp: I really liked it as a live show, but it's hard to watch on video. This video has way too many cuts and close-ups. I wish people taking video of live shows would just use a wide-angle lens to take in the whole stage and then let you decide what you want to look at.